The End of An Era

• The End Of An Era

Written by: Len Harris
    Photo by: Len Harris

Geno called me. He told me that he was giving his wood cook stove to his son Steve. The wood
    cook stove was not a good auxiliary heat source anymore. He told me that Steve was bringing him
    a high efficiency wood stove to take its place. I had told Geno on an earlier visit that I wanted to get a
    photo of the "Monarch" Wood Cook Stove before he banished it to the garage at Steve's house.

Geno McManamy is his name.. I always like talking with him.He reminds me of my father. Geno has
    forgotten more hunting and fishing memories than most people will experience in a lifetime. Geno is one of the
    last remaining members of the "Reber's Gas Station Gang". All of the members would meet at the only
    gas station in town on Sunday mornings. They would drop their wives off at church and then they
    would ALL meet up at the gas station and swap hunting and fishing lies. The noon whistle meant church was
    over and time to pick up the wives.

"Monarch" was one of the wood cook stoves of the Malleable Iron Range Company, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
    The company was in business from 1896 until 1985. This model was made around the turn of the century.

I drove to Gays Mills today to take a couple photos and get some history behind the stove. Geno and his
    wife Marilyn were at home. Marilyn told me that she learned how to cook on that wood cook stove from her mother Anna.
    Both of them were not sure if all the things Marlyn cooked on that old Monarch would taste the same on an electric stove.
    The smell of wood some how gave the food a more appealing taste.

Geno said: "It wasn't so much the taste but the memories that go along with the old Monarch." The wood stove signified
    days gone by. "Simpler days." We sat down at his kitchen table and talked about the old days. That cook stove prepared
    the first family meal for Geno and Marilyn when they were newlyweds. It warmed many baby bottles for their children.

Geno equated the old relic to hunting and fishing. "I cleaned many a trout and northern on that butcher block table next to the stove.
    Marylin would have the bacon grease at the perfect temperature by the time I was done cleaning my brookies. She popped them right
    in the grease. I can smell the aroma right now as we speak. I can taste the crisp tails of those mouth watering brookies."

"Many a deer was butchered on that butcher block table. The back straps were the first things to be fried on the cook stove. It usually
    happened the same night the deer was harvested. Lots of onions and green peppers in the pan. My son and two daughters watching
    their mother cook. The whole family having an experience that is seldom re-enacted nowadays. ALL of my children are good cooks."

Marilyn also told Geno she had baked a couple apples pies in the electric stove and that they tasted almost as good. She wasn't
    sure if her rhubarb pie would taste the same out of a electric stove. She would get back to him soon on that. The rhubarb was
    thawing in the sink.

Geno asked Marlyn if she could cook all the things he was used to on a new fangled electric range. Marilyn
    reassured Geno she could. Geno said: "Even squirrel and morels?" "Yes dear," she responded. They both were not
    certain that the house would be the same with out the "Monarch". It wasn't just the the way the food smelled or tasted
    being cooked on that old stove....It was the memories that went with it.

The stove is being taken out the last weekend of September. The memories will stay in that house. It truly is
    a shame that progress has made some of the good old days obsolete. Computers and game stations have supplanted
    the meetings around the table in the kitchen. The wood cook stove in the background making the food just right.
    The way you remember it. The talks about the day's happenings at the table. The stove was very much a symbol of the past.
    Geno said: "It ain't no microwave." Geno & Marlyn hold on tightly to their memories of the old days. It was a simpler time
    when families spent more time talking and cooking, experiencing life together in front of that old "Monarch."

• It was a different time and I remember the stories of my grandmother.
    But not all change is bad, by modern technology can einAngler over images of another angler to look very far away resides.

I've used a translation program, hope it is still understandable

• hej Len,
    please don't criticize my "school-english", i know it's not perfekt. But I hope it won't be so difficult to understand. THX ;)

I admire you for the way you write your stories. Reading them, raises thoughts of the tipical British life. Being all the time deliberate and homely. It just keeps me thinking at this online video:
    http://video.google.de/videopl…7147431030017842946&hl=de

Most people think that it's impossible to catch big fish with "old-fashioned" tackle. But this is a fallacy. Just thinking at the legendary hardy rods. Fishing with them is like having a part of history in his hands.

keep up with your stories ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!