Night Time Is The Right Time

• June in Wisconsin is a special time. The weather is fine and the "Monster" brown trout are a little more vulnerable. When brown trout get older they become nocturnal feeders. The bench mark for a big trout in this area is 20 inches and above.That hole that you have fished 50 times and not caught a single trout in the daytime is a prime area to try. Big trout are very territorial and will chase out any other trout in of their area.

This absolute monster slurped a hex emerger and stormed away like its tail was on fire.

When trout get really big they become carnivores and seldom eat insects. The exception to this rule is in June, when the environment is perfect, the big browns come out and put the feed bags on. Emerging mayflies are their targets. The bottom make up of a perfect mayfly species hexagenia limbata "hex"stream is silty and a little warmer than the average stream in the area.

The mayflies typically hatch at night. They emerge from their old bodies on the surface of the stream. They struggle and shake and fight on the surface to get rid of that old exoskeleton. They are very vulnerable at this time and the big brown trout come out and gorge themselves on these huge flies. It is typically really dark and the only way you can detect a bite is from the sound of the slurping or sucking sounds these leviathans make as they are dining on the biggest insect this area has to offer. You set on the slurp sound and hang on. Do NOT use an undersized fly rod for this night time attack. Have a stout new leader attached to that fly.

This nocturnal monster freight trained the mouse fly and immediately went in to an alligator roll trying to free itself.

You should also have an alternate attack plan in case that hatch doesn't happen. That stout rod you have rigged up can quickly be set up for another night time rig that is deadly. Big nocturnal browns love big meals. I have personally seen a huge brown take a baby duck off the surface locally. There really are no baby duck flies available so the next best thing is a mouse fly.

Mice fall in to streams at night when they are out feeding themselves. The second they hit the water they are in panic mode. They try to get back to shore quickly. They usually motor non stop the direction they are pointing when they hit the water. This motion can be imitated my stripping your mouse constantly and quickly across the water. This stripping motion keeps the line tight and that is a good thing when that giant brown freight trains that mouse fly you need to set that hook immediately and you are going by feel in the complete darkness. A loose line means a lost fish of a lifetime.

Fishing at night can be very dangerous. You should scout your area during the daylight and make a plan of action with another angler. Do not try this alone. Please...I implore you...HANG ON TIGHT!

These flies are not to be used by the faint of heart .

• wow thanks for posting, these are fantastic photos again! I think i will visit my favourite trout stream this week where i cought a few 20+ inch browntrout, but this time late in the evening!
    Greetings, Alex

• Mate this is a pleasure for the eyes, lovely fishes not only in size but also in the shape and colours.. They must give a heartbeating reflection in pale moonshine nights at the river. In my point of view a night time fight with a good size fish is much more exciting because of these reflections are just a split of a second and splashes are louder at night,, About the real size you will only find out when the fish is landed.
    Its more dangerous at night and when you slip into the water that might bring you in serious troubles.. But don't we all live the thin line between pleasure and pain when "gone fishing"?
    Go on.
    Willy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!